Sage and Apple Pork Loin (and other things)
I don’t even like Justin Bieber.
But I thought it was funny at the time.
My friend Tabitha had her 30th birthday at Fast Eddie’s (HAPPY BIRTHDAY TAB!) and when I looked at my neck the next day, it was a lot less funny. Thankfully, the tattoo came off easily with makeup remover. FYI.
St. Louis weather has been awesome. Last night Mark and I grilled outdoors.
We kind of winged it and made Sage and apple pork loin with asparagus.
First, I marinated the pork for about an hour and a half (not very long, I know) in apple juice, spices (sage + garlic + salt and pepper), and cider vinegar.
Then Mark did his thing on the grill.
Meanwhile, I chopped up one braeburn apple and an onion. I chopped the onion very finely – nearly a mince – and added it to a pan with oil. Then I added sage and thyme. The spices filled the air.
After the onion had cooked for 3-5 minutes (and was just brown), I added the apple. I cooked it for another 5+ minutes. I didn’t want the apples too soft, but also not too crisp.
Mark asked me if I used a recipe to come up with this, and I didn’t. I initially came up with the recipe when I saw a spice packet for “sage and apple pork chops” and I thought – I don’t need a spice packet, I have that stuff at home. Lots of times when I cook things, I check around to see if there is anything like it to get a sense of what flavors will work together or if I’m off my rocker. Or, I get some inspiration from something I saw in a cooking magazine, cooking show, or of course, a blog.
I found a lot of recipes that involved apple, sage, and thyme and just hoped for the best. A lot of them were stuffed pork loin or pork chops and I just didn’t feel like stuffing them.
This weekend I had one of the best long runs in a long time. 10 miles on the treadmill in 88 minutes. This is a lot faster than I normally run – usually I do around 9:20-9:30 minute miles for my long runs. In fact, it felt easy and I kept bumping up my speed and incline at the end to make it more challenging. This is crazy but I must be doing something right! I think part of it is that I have really been pushing myself speed-wise. I will just bottle this feeling and try to remember it when I have a bad run.
Now I’m off to the Tivoli to watch Oscar nominated animated shorts. See ya!
- Bacon at the spa, and your potential View Comments
- Adventures in dog sitting View Comments
- Tofu and Veggie Stir Fry View Comments
- Easy Indian Salmon View Comments
- A Two-fer and a Spin class View Comments
- Baby, it’s really freaking cold outside View Comments
- Parmesan Encrusted Cod and Spaghetti Squash View Comments
- As Easy As Apple Pie View Comments
- Warning: These Cookies Do Not All Look the Same View Comments
- Hello, Fall View Comments
- New blog! View Comments
- How I Left the Law View Comments
- Tacos in the summertime View Comments
- Not taking ourselves too seriously View Comments
- I Drank the Kool-Aid View Comments
- On Tolerance View Comments
- Elephants Squared View Comments
- Lincoln Half Marathon recap View Comments
- How to Obtain a Personal Worst View Comments
- An update View Comments